More Heartbreak For Survivors Of Child Sexual Abuse

Malcolm Turnbull has smashed the hopes of thousands of survivors of child sexual abuse in last night’s budget by failing to allocate any funding for a national redress scheme.

THE HON MARK DREYFUS QC MP

SHADOW ATTORNEY-GENERAL

SHADOW MINISTER FOR THE ARTS

MEMBER FOR ISAACS

 

THE HON JENNY MACKLIN MP

SHADOW MINISTER FOR FAMILIES & PAYMENTS

SHADOW MINISTER FOR DISABILITY REFORM

FEDERAL MEMBER FOR JAGAJAGA

SENATOR CLAIRE MOORE

SHADOW MINISTER FOR COMMUNITIES, CARERS AND WOMEN

SENATOR FOR QUEENSLAND

 

MORE HEARTBREAK FOR SURVIVORS OF CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE

 

Malcolm Turnbull has smashed the hopes of thousands of survivors of child sexual abuse in last night’s budget by failing to allocate any funding for a national redress scheme.

Survivors who have come forward and told their stories to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse have been waiting their whole lives for redress.

But Malcolm Turnbull’s budget contains not a cent of funding for redress. They have been forgotten.

In mid-2015, the Royal Commission recommended that the Commonwealth Government establish a national redress scheme for survivors of abuse, with payments to begin in 2017. It brought forward its initial report so that the scheme could be set up on time.

Now, with no sign of any funding allocation from the Government in this week’s budget, it is virtually impossible for the scheme to begin payments to survivors on schedule. And yet, the Government has managed to find $160 million for a wasteful and hurtful plebiscite on same-sex marriage. This says everything about its priorities.

In fact, the government has yet to fully commit to the national redress scheme at all.

Instead, they are shifting responsibility for redress onto the States – despite the calls for a national scheme.

In October last year, Labor announced that a Shorten Government would invest $33 million to implement a National Redress Scheme.

This includes an initial $20 million contribution to establish the National Redress Agency, as well as a National Redress Advisory Council to work with all governments and institutions on the development and operation of the scheme.

Shadow Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus said: “Survivors of child sexual abuse have been through enough already. They do not deserve this further uncertainty. There can be no further delays from this Government in acting on the recommendations of the Royal Commission. Senator Brandis must immediately set out his plans for the redress scheme and explain how it will be funded. This is too important for survivors who have already waited most of their lives for their pain and suffering to be recognised.”

Shadow Minister for Families and Payments Jenny Macklin said: “Survivors of child sexual abuse do not want to be forced to go cap-in-hand to the states to secure the redress they deserve. Many were abused at the hands of institutions run by the states. They have made it clear they want a national scheme.”

Shadow Minister for Women, Communities and Carers Claire Moore said: “Today in the Senate I will be presenting a Notice of Motion that calls on the Turnbull Government to work develop a National Redress Scheme. A scheme that already has been recommended by the Senate and the Royal Commission for the survivors and their suffering.”

Only Labor can be trusted to deliver a national redress scheme for survivors of child sexual abuse, because only Labor will put people first.

WEDNESDAY, 4 MAY 2016