One year on and NBN HFC rollout bungle leaves Isaacs worse off

One year ago, the NBN Hybrid Fibre Co-Axial (HFC) rollout was halted due to reliability and service issues. Australian consumers were advised the problems would delay their NBN access by between 6 and 9 months.

 

The Hon Mark Dreyfus QC MP

Shadow Attorney General
Shadow Minister for National Security
Federal Member for Isaacs

 

ONE YEAR ON AND NBN HFC ROLLOUT BUNGLE LEAVES ISAACS WORSE OFF
 

One year ago, the NBN Hybrid Fibre Co-Axial (HFC) rollout was halted due to reliability and service issues. Australian consumers were advised the problems would delay their NBN access by between 6 and 9 months.

 

“Residents of Cheltenham, Dingley Village, Mentone, Mordialloc and Parkdale continue to have NBN access delayed due to the Abbott-Turnbull-Morrison Government’s bungled rollout of the HFC network,” Federal Member for Isaacs, Mark Dreyfus said.

 

“In 2013, the Liberals promised that every house in the country would have the NBN by the end of 2016. We’ve had three Prime Ministers since then but much of the Isaacs electorate remains without the NBN. It’s simply not good enough.”

 

The Liberal’s track record on HFC technology is nothing short of abysmal:

  • Parts of the HFC network were abandoned in September 2016 when it was determined not fit for purpose.
  • The remainder of the NBN HFC rollout was halted on 27 November 2017 due to ongoing reliability and dropout issues.
  • The rollout delays have delayed NBN access for households and businesses by between 6 to 18 months, and cost taxpayers at least $900 million.


While the cost of the Liberals’ HFC network has blown out by 60 per cent and billions of dollars, nations such as New Zealand, the US and the UK have reduced the cost of deploying Fibre to the Premises by between 40 to 50 per cent.
 
“On every measure, the decision to abandon fibre and instead deploy HFC is costing more and delivering less. Our community deserves better,” Mr Dreyfus said.
 
WEDNESDAY 28 NOVEMBER 2018