Turnbull's NBN delayed yet again for Kingston residents

When the Abbott-Turnbull government was first elected in 2013, Malcolm Turnbull promised that the National Broadband Network (NBN) would be rolled out to every household in Australia by the end of 2016.

The Hon Mark Dreyfus QC MP
Shadow Attorney General
Shadow Minister for National Security
Federal Member for Isaacs

 

TURNBULL’S NBN DELAYED YET AGAIN FOR KINGSTON RESIDENTS

When the Abbott-Turnbull government was first elected in 2013, Malcolm Turnbull promised that the National Broadband Network (NBN) would be rolled out to every household in Australia by the end of 2016.

We are now only weeks away from 2018 and this timeframe has been pushed back yet again.

Last week the Turnbull government announced that NBN Co. was putting an immediate halt to any new hybrid fibre-coaxial connections. This will push back the roll out of the NBN in parts of the Isaacs electorate by another six to nine months. The Turnbull government now claims that the NBN will be rolled out across the country by 2020 – that’s a staggering four years late and at huge additional cost.

“Internet users throughout the City of Kingston will be rightly disappointed by the news that their NBN has been delayed again,” Member for Isaacs Mark Dreyfus said.

“Residents of Mentone, Parkdale and Mordialloc, where a high proportion of houses are planned to be connected to the NBN with a hybrid fibre-coaxial connection, will be particularly devastated by this news.”

An analysis of the 2016 NBN Corporate Plan shows the cost of halting the HFC roll out will cost taxpayers between $420 million and $790 million.

“Local residents in Isaacs are fed up of the Turnbull government’s delays and downgrades to the NBN. They want answers and they want solutions. Above all, they just want access to world-class broadband, and the Turnbull government has failed them at every step,” Mr Dreyfus said.

“Australia’s internet speeds are the 50th fastest in the world, behind Kenya, Russia and Hungary. And now residents of the City of Kingston have to wait even longer for Mr Turnbull’s second-rate copper NBN. It’s simply not good enough,” Mr Dreyfus said.

THURSDAY 30 NOVEMBER 2017